Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Our Life


We went from an ordinary couple in a nice house in suburban Kailua to the crazy hippies in the forest.  When I used to see friends on the street they would start the conversation by saying “how’s business?”  Now they say “how is it up there,” with a hint of mockery. 
           In most respects, we're as conservative as people in their mid-twenties come.  We don’t smoke, we rarely drink, and we believe in “the system.”  I run a business and spend most of my day on the computer.  The highlight of our social schedule is to hang out with my niece and nephews.  Our nightly routine is to light some candles, cuddle on the couch, drink a cup of tea, and read a book.  Yet, last night a duck slept by our bed.  Once a month I bury our semi-composted shit in the ground.  We drink only rainwater.  Today all I’ve eaten is a lilikoi I found in the hau and a papaya from our neighbors tree.  The biggest tragedy of recent memory is pigs wiping out my taro.  Our biggest inconvenience is the 15 bull frogs that moved into our ponds and keep us up at night.  Our biggest success is six beautiful star fruit from our tree. 
So who are we and what are we doing?  We’re not hippies, conspiracy theorists, revolutionaries, or even libertarians.  I believe in big government and “the grid.” I believe that we should support those who can’t support themselves.  But, I  also believe that there are some fundamental problems with the society that I’ve supported all my life.  We’ve lost touch with our surroundings, are losing touch with each other, and are entirely dependent on infinite growth.  We’ve built a civilization that will collapse if it doesn’t grow and we've convinced ourselves that humans can live outside of Earth's ecology.  From the first light of consciousness, we are taught to consume.  Turn on the TV or open a magazine and it’s almost entirely about consumption.  We have become hard-wired to live beyond our means.  
So, while there isn’t a title for who we are, for once I do know what I’m doing.    We are trying to live with what we have.  If it’s a cloudy day, we turn off our power at night.  If it doesn’t rain, we don’t use the washing machine.  If my chickens don’t lay eggs, we don’t eat eggs.  We are trying our best to become producers, not merely consumers.  And in the three months that we’ve been disconnected from “the grid,” we’ve started to connect to the planet.  This isn’t an experiment anymore.  This is our life. 
However, I know it’s not the life for everyone.  Even though I rarely use my truck and we produce our own electricity and water, our  impact is still likely larger than the average city-dweller.  And many times larger than the average subsistence farmer in a third world country. But, it’s a start.  For a couple with basically no survival knowledge, we’re making big strides.  A year ago I’d never planted a tree, I didn’t know AC from DC power, I didn’t know that the full moon rises at sunset, and I didn’t know Permaculture from Agriculture.  I’m still an infant when it comes to all of that.  I have 100,000 years of forgotten human knowledge to catch up on.  But we’re moving forward.

8 comments:

  1. how is your impact larger than the average city-dweller? How do you figure that? I feel like i consume alot of trash, waste, water, electricity etc but I do not use a car in NYC.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ariana.
    At least 75% of our food still comes from overseas, Sokchea drives to work everyday, I fly to O'ahu every other week, I burn about 1/4 gallon of gas/oil in a two stroke weed wacker, I burn probably 1/2 gallon a week of gas for the lawnmower. And, most importantly, by building a new home, my actions directly led to de-forestation. It's amazing how much wood goes into a platform and a deck.
    Over-time we'll be able to bring our impact way down, but for now it's relatively high. If everyone in the country got up and did what we just did, there wouldn't be enough land or douglas fir to go around.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't believe that building your house led to de-forestation since foresters will plant new trees where they cut the ones you used.
    I'll send you pics of my trees...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SRAYNETH I REALLY LIKE HOW U EXPRESS YOURSELF, U SHOULD WRITE A BOOK. IT'S REALLY SOUND GOOD FOR REAL NO BS. DRINKING WATER FROM THE RAIN, EAT CHICKEN DUCK EGGS, THE POWER U MADE, THE HOUSE BEHAND THE MOUNTAIN WOW THE EATIN FROGS.

      Delete
  4. Well, I am curious to know how it goes for you, and thankful for the interesting conceptual idealism you bring to the table. I am teaching at KHIS. Would you mind if I bring your blog into the classroom? I am teaching a concept from a class I am taking called "The Value of Hawaii" and I am trying to get seventh graders to think about what they value and how will the preserve Hawaii for future generations.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Karin for reading. Yes! you definitely can share with your class. I have had a lot of sources of inspiration throughout all of this, but one major one was the book "The Value of Hawai'i" edited by Osorio.

    ReplyDelete