Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Off-grid hypocrisy

"Be the change that you wish to see in the world."
- Mahatma Gandhi

I subconsciously swipe on my Iphone and scan the news as I wipe the sleep out of my eyes   I read that we shouldn’t worry too much about the Ebola outbreak that has claimed more than 600 lives in Africa because it would likely be rapidly contained if it were to spread to the US.  Then I see that a country founded “on freedom, justice and peace as envisaged by the prophets of Israel” has just shelled another United Nation’s school, bringing the total Palestinian death toll to over 1350. 

As I wait for my coffee to boil, I give one last glance at my completed absentee ballot, and then stuff it in its envelope.  Voting for change, but knowing none is possible.   I drink my organic Rainforest Blend coffee which was compiled from so many third world sources that no country of origin is listed on the label.  My thumbs translate thoughts into words as I write a few quick work emails on my phone to the hypnotic sounds of the introduced Asian Shama on my deck.  Other than birds, fowl, and a grumpy nene goose, the only audible distraction is the periodic cycling of my Australian made Davey Torrium pump, maintaining the rainwater in my 300 feet of PVC piping at a blasting 60 PSI. 
 While the wind rippling through my PVC roof is a constant reminder of humanity's impact on the climate (which is the primary reason that I live the way I do.)  Those hundreds of pounds of PVC that make up the backbone of my water system are labeled by Greenpeace as the “single most environmentally damaging of all plastics” and "one of the most toxic substances saturating our planet.”  

After feeding my chickens their daily allotment of organic pelletized corn and soy from the midwest, I harvest my breakfast tax of their newly laid unborn chicks.  And so that our three humane society cats don’t resort to eating our happy chickens, I feed them their “naturally formulated” diet of factory farmed chicken along with 64 other dehydrated ingredients that I can’t pronounce.  

I walk to my small lo’i to pull eight malnourished organic kalo in order to make poi for the week.  On the way back I stumble into my two main organic nutrient sources for the kalo: rock phosphate and fish emulsion.  The phosphate was strip mined from rapidly depleting sources in Florida, China, Morocco, Brazil, Russia, Jordan, and Tunisia while the organic fish emulsion is the fermented fish remains of industrial by-catch (my other choice for an organic nitrogen source is blood meal, made from the ground up bones of cattle from feed lots).  

My taro is currently boiling, using propane sourced from hydraulic fracturing on the east coast, which has been linked to massive methane releases, seismic activity, dislodging radioactive material, and, most commonly, groundwater contamination by the chemicals used in the process.  Before I can make poi, I need to wait for the sun to reach its zenith, so that my 100% solar powered home can handle the power needs of my Vitamixer.  The REC photovoltaic panels (manufactured in Singapore) are producing around 600 watts, which is more than enough to power my Apple Laptop (manufactured by Hon Hai Industries in China) for me to write this mild diatribe.

And it's only 9:45 am. This is what I call off-the-grid

kalo

phosphate processing




1 comment:

  1. Love it! Especially because you are not afraid to point out your own hypocrisy. There are some out there who excel at pointing out others but fail to see the three fingers pointing back at themselves. 'We all have many of these choice conflicts going on and we try to overcome them but some are nearly impossible to avoid, for now. I was just remarking how I "need propane!" to prepare for the hurricane.

    ReplyDelete