Tuesday, April 14, 2015

"We are Mauna Kea"






Am I Mauna Kea?

In the social media war of links, hashtags, and sexy celebrity photos that we're all becoming accustomed to, nuance and neutrality don't exist. We have no choice but to leap off the irreconcilable precipice: on one side there are 237 years of cultural genocide, dispossession, and disenfranchisement and, on the other is the future of astronomy. Am I Mauna Kea? Or do I support science? Do I click "like" on the article that explains why astronomy is sacred to the Hawaiians? Or do I click "like" on the powerful protest videos of hula blocking the summit road? Do I sign the petition to protect Mauna Kea (43,432 signatures), or the petition supporting TMT (666 signatures)? And, then do I show my support by hash-tagging #wearemaunakea (14,903 photos) and #aoleTMT (13,191 photos)?

Does proclaiming "we are Mauna Kea" on Facebook allow me to jump the barrier of my genealogical divide? Or, does announcing my support for the Thirty Meter Telescope prove that I am the oppressor described by Haunani Kay-Trask in Lovely Hula Hands?
Hawai'i itself is the female object of degraded and victimized sexual value. Our 'aina, or lands, are not any longer the source of food and shelter, but the source of money. Land is now called real estate; rather than our mother, Papa. The American relationship to land is that of exploiter to exploited. Beautiful areas, once sacred to my people, are now expensive resorts... The point, of course, is that everything in Hawai'i can be yours, that is, you the tourist, the non-native, the visitor. The place, the people, the culture, even our identity as a 'Native' people is for sale. Thus Hawai'i, like a lovely woman, is there for the taking... The State and counties will give tax breaks, build infrastructure, and have the governor personally welcome tourists to ensure they keep coming. Just as the pimp regulates prices and guards the commodity of the prostitute, so the State bargains with developers for access to Hawaiian land and culture... 
Hawaiians, meanwhile, have little choice in all this. We can fill up the unemployment lines, enter the military, work in the tourist industry, or leave Hawai'i.

No. I am not Mauna Kea. No matter how much I want to, or how many 'olelo Hawai'i classes I've taken, or how much I paddle outrigger canoe, there is a genealogical divide that can not be bridged with a hashtag. Papa and Wakea are not part of my family's history. I was born on Kaua'i. I love Hawai'i. I know no other home and will never leave. But, I am not Hawaiian. In the dialogue over the Thirty Meter Telescope, I have to recognize my own otherness because, as a resident of the State of Hawai'i, I am complicit in the colonization of Hawai'i.

While the Mauna Kea protests are about UH's failures as a steward of the mountain, state laws regarding conservation land, the overdevelopment of a unique and abused ecosystem, and the State's continuous steamrolling of Native Hawaiian rights and concerns-- the real issue is colonization. And, as conflicted and sympathetic as I am-- living in Hawai'i makes me a colonizer. As Trask wrote in 1993: "When awareness begins, then so too does de-colonization. Judging by the growing resistance to geothermal energy.. and to increases in the sheer number of tourists, I would say that de-colonization has begun..."

It's not about the TMT. It's about Native Hawaiians standing together and proclaiming their rights as indigenous peoples. As a non-Hawaiian, more important than saying "we are Mauna Kea" is to say "I am not Mauna Kea." The decision on whether or not to build the TMT should rest with Hawaiians. And, pretending that we're all Mauna Kea is just another form of colonial disempowerment.  

5 comments:

  1. No you may not be Mauna Kea.. But neither are many who post and hastag themselves #wearemaunakea. Many native Hawaiians are unopposed to TMT but their voices are muffled by the protests, Facebook & Instagram posts. Bronson Kaahui recently penned an Op-Ed in Civil Beat that is more representative of other views:: http://www.civilbeat.com/2015/04/science-not-superstition-brought-polynesians-to-hawaii/?fb_comment_id=fbc_1044596105570403_1044968238866523_1044968238866523#f6fe062f4
    I'm guessing there is a fair share of individuals, like my friends, who are unopposed to TMT but don't see the need to post and hastag their opinions all over Facebook and Instagram.

    There is also a lot of misinformation being repeated about the project, and TMT launched a website that addresses many of these concerns: http://www.maunakeaandtmt.org
    Interestingly it includes the following quote by King Kalakaua: “It will afford me unfeigned satisfaction if my kingdom can add its quota toward the successful accomplishment of the most important astronomical observation of the present century and assist, however humbly, the enlightened nations of the earth in these costly enterprises…”
    The ancient Hawaiians and Polynesians are known for their advanced understanding of astronomy. Who is to say they wouldn't they have supported modern astronomy? Especially when the project is going to give $1milion per year to Hawaiian island students and another $1million to workforce development. I hope those that oppose TMT are taking this into consideration. Those are huge benefits for an island that is still struggling economically, and whose students do not all have access to an education at Kamehameha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great piece Luke! Mahalo.

    "While the Mauna Kea protests are about UH's failures as a steward of the mountain, state laws regarding conservation land, the overdevelopment of a unique and abused ecosystem, and the State's continuous steamrolling of Native Hawaiian rights and concerns-- the real issue is colonization."

    This is truth.

    The angle of "I am not maunakea" and taking a sense of responsibility in your white privilege is honorable. Perhaps colonialists rather then white, but the feeling I get from your language is that of reconciling inequity.

    To clarify, are you condemning those who are standing in solidarity with the #WeAreMaunaKea social campaign?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not condemning anyone. But, I think the hashtag being used by non-Hawaiians diminishes what's at the heart of the protests.

      Delete
  3. Do you feel that using the hashtag and crossing the genealogical divide, as it were, is cultural appropriation?

    ReplyDelete