Sunday, January 1, 2012

One Year

It's been one year since we began this blog. I was hoping to write a happy update about all being perfect in Yurtville, but... that's far from the truth. We just got back from a 10 day trip to New York. Our home, which we'd left in close to perfect shape, is in disarray.

- I'm writing on an IPhone because my Internet tethering no longer works.

- Our catchment tank is inexplicably empty. 4,000 gallons of water vanished through some leak.

- We are officially at war with the rats. After catching five rats in a row and realizing that they were just walking in under the flap of the canvas, we finally sealed it with cable the day we left. But, the unforgiving rats have chewed holes in the canvas in two places. From the inside and the outside.

- In June I planted about 40 'Uala (sweet potato) starts. Since then they've filled in beautifully around my ponds. However, the pigs picked up on the lack of human presence and destroyed both patches.

- The day we left I planted in our garden about 50 Kale and Arrugula starts that I'd seeded a couple of weeks prior. They are all gone. Presumably the ducks and chickens wiped them out.

- A few days before we left I seeded about 20 Balinese Papaya trees. Every pot has been cleaned out. Presumably by the chickens.

I'm going to sleep.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for writing about your hardships as well as your triumphs. I get so much out of reading your blog. I grew up in Hawaii and I have been to Kauai several times. I live on the East Coast and paddle too, and the news of your accident hit the community out here as if we were all there, too.

    I love reading about your journey since then: trying to daily be conscious of connectedness and love; committment to the understanding that we are part of the earth, and should act as its stewards. Most of us, including myself, pay lip service to those things but don't do what it takes to live in that truth.

    Thank you again for sharing this project.

    ReplyDelete