Sunday, January 2, 2011

Day two and Whole Foods

Just about every seven seconds I think about our Yurt and our new path.  It's always in my mind.  But I had an insight today into how difficult it's going to be.  Not the actual clearing, building, and maintaining of the land (which I am already well aware of the difficulties and inadequacy of my ability), but the commitment to the idea of sustainability.  Every day I am a little more aware of my impact on the environment and every day I get a little better at minimizing that impact.  But often I fail miserably.

Today we went to Whole Foods.  I'll be working for the week on O'ahu while Sokchea is going back to Kaua'i tomorrow morning.  So we went to buy me some food to last the next four days.  I walked right through the local produce section and bought six frozen burritos, a loaf of bread, peanut butter, and jelly.  Since I was at Whole Foods I let myself shop mindlessly.  I subconsciously justified my high impact foods because they were all organic.  It took a sarcastic comment about my pseudo-greeness from my friend Jeremy for me to realize how incredibly "unsustainable" my food choices were.  But even after thinking about how much energy it must have taken to create and preserve each of my processed foods, I still purchased them.

That is what I'm trying to tackle.  This can't be something that I do when I feel like it.  When it's easy.  I need to re-make my life.  And I have a really long way to go.

Luke

No comments:

Post a Comment