Thursday, September 11, 2014

Disparate Sentences

I recently read the first eight pages of a book on blogging.  Apparently, rule #1 of a popular blog is to post at least every other day.  Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on who you're talking to) it takes me about three weeks to accumulate enough self-reflecting thoughts to compile a coherent post.  Since I've never striven for popularity, I don't think I'll be able to move beyond that slow post rate anytime soon. But, while I don't have any deeply insightful thoughts, I can string together a couple of disparate sentences.  

As I was getting out of bed this morning, I stumbled on this fascinating article from The Atlantic.  If you have 45 minutes to spare, I urge you to give it a read.  It might change your life.  

My ten and twelve-year-old niece and nephew, along with two of their friends, have inspired me beyond words with their website: connect 5 kids.   With the youthful optimism of pre-adolescence, they have set out to save the world by creating a social media platform to get kids engaged in effective change.  Check out their video below.  






My friend Loren Kohnfelder has a fascinating analytical blog on Kaua'i government issues.  As a relatively new resident on Kaua'i with an MIT education and work experience at the king of big-data (Google), he is currently documenting the frustrating process of trying to understand our tax policies while keeping a close eye on the county council deliberations.   

While the IPCC report on climate change looks progressively more dire for the future of our planet, and financial organizations like PricewaterhouseCoopers and The World Bank begin to lobby for green-house gas regulation, The Garden Island Newspaper has taken a firm anti-science stance by continuing to regularly publish editorials from a discredited fossil fuel lobbyist.  Good thing Kaua'i bloggers Joan Conrow and Jan TenBruggencate are effectively communicating why we should care about the science and politics behind climate change.  

As expected, a vote on a constitutional amendment to allow tougher campaign finance regulations (it would separate campaign finance from free speech) failed today in the senate by filibuster.  Every Republican voted against it and every Democrat voted for it.  Making it fall far short of the 67 votes it needed pass the Senate.  The message from Republican Senators? "Let's continue with the status-quo!"

It's 9/11.  Which is the most important day of the year for reflection on tragedy (both Hurricanes and war).

My dad and I went on a tour of Pioneer last Friday.  I plan to write about the experience as it was definitely an informative afternoon.  The plants looked healthy; the scientists appeared brilliant; and the workers were smiling.

The nene goose that has been a frequent visitor of our home since she was an orphaned gosling has finally flown on to greener pastures.  While I've lost a dedicated work companion (she was an epic weeder), I no longer have to worry about the safety of my dogs (she hates dogs) nor do I come back to my computer (I work from my outside deck) to find fresh goose poop smeared on the keys.  But, I will definitely miss her loud antics and our frequent "conversations."



Tomorrow I'm on my way to Maui, for what should be one of the most fun paddling weekends of the year.  We've taken the unprecedented step of combining the men's programs of Kaua'i's three major canoe clubs (Hanalei, Namolokama, and Pu'uwai).  This weekend's race across the Pailolo Channel will be our last race of the season as clubs, and then we will join together as Kaua'i Wa'a as we paddle across the Kaiwi Channel on Sunday.  And, the best part is that we will be racing in Nānāhope, Kamanu's newest canoe.






It's been a tragic week for the paddling world as we've lost three integral members of our paddling community: Midge Horwood (from Kaua'i), Sam Couch (from California), and Paul Gay (from O'ahu).  Every time a paddler passes, we, as a tight-knit community, whether we knew them or not, are all deeply affected.  
As I wrote on the Kamanu FB page:

"Within one week, the paddling world has lost two of its most dedicated leaders. They were both expert craftsman who worked tirelessly keeping our canoes afloat; they were both coaches who ensured that generations of paddlers could learn the art of paddling; they were both tinkerers who were constantly improving the tools of our sport; and, most importantly, they were both humble, generous, and inspirational water-men. Paul Gay and Sam Couch, while you lived an ocean apart and may have never met, everyone who has ever gotten into a canoe owes both of you a debt of gratitude for your service to our sport. While your lives were cut short prematurely, your legacy lives on in your work and in those who you've inspired."



No comments:

Post a Comment